Thursday, May 16, 2013

From a winter convert!

A visit to Chandigarh Rose Festival.


As the temperature rockets I miss winters. Being born and bred in South India, I seldom understood the eagerness with which North Indians looked forward to the winter and the treats that come with it. The cool, rather cold temperature is welcomed with joy (I was like duh!!! This year night temperature dropped to 1.5 degree C and did not rise above 6 degrees C for about 10 days. Brrrr). There is a frenzy of activity – the winter comforters are aired/dry cleaned, the colourful winter clothes, pashmina shawls, phirans are ready for display.

The vegetable market is filled with energy and residents rush to pick up the sweet red carrot for yummy gajar ka halwa, and mustard leaf for the sarson ka saag! To top it all, it is a delight to drive around Chandigarh where every household plants winter flowers in their garden and every rotary in the city is brimming with colourful, vibrant flowers.

In brief, I am a winter convert!

Towards the end of this joyful season arrives India’s largest Rose Festival in the month of February. How could I miss it?

As I look out of the window towards the blazing heat that promises to cross 42 degree C next week, I miss winter. In memory, and anticipation of the coming winter, I am posting the photo essay of the Rose Festival I visited at Zakir Rose Garden at Sector 16, Chandigarh titled ‘White is my colour of Rose’. 


Photo essay ‘White is my colour of Rose’


No comments:

Post a Comment